Welcome to our August Monthly Newsletter!
The low and middle income tax offset has now become law and will be available until 2022. The maximum offset is $1,080 and is calculated on your income level. You will receive some of this offset if your taxable income is less than $126,000.
If your taxable income:
- does not exceed $37,000, then you will be entitled to an offset amount of $255 on any tax payable
- exceeds $37,000 but is not more than $48,000 then you will be entitled to an offset amount of $255, plus 7.5% of the excess above $37,000 to a maximum offset of $1,080 on any tax payable
- exceeds $48,000 but is not more than $90,000, then you will be entitled to the maximum offset amount of $1,080 on any tax payable
- exceeds $90,000 but is not more than $126,000, then you will be entitled to an offset amount $1,080 less 3% of your taxable income above $90,000
Monthly Tax Tip:
Do you claim a portion of your mobile phone costs as a business expense? If you claim more than $50 per year then you are required to keep a four-week diary to substantiate your claim.
You could calculate this as:
- Dividing the number of business calls by the total calls (e.g. 100 business calls / 400 total calls = 25%)
- Dividing the time spent on business calls by the total time spent on calls (e.g. 10 business hours / 40 total hours = 25%)
Once you have calculated the percentage of business use, you can then claim that percentage of each phone bill throughout the remainder of the financial year.
If you would like to schedule a consultation with us then please jump onto our website where you can see our availabilities and book a time that suits you.